While face-to-face consultations can provide more opportunity for conversation with consultants and immediate feedback, we understand that not all students can visit the Writing Center during our hours of operation. For that reason, we offer the following online services. Online consultations are available to CSU students, staff, faculty, and alumni. If you’d like to arrange an online consultation, click here.
NEW! Video Conferencing Appointments
- You can now schedule appointments on WCONLINE for a 30 minute consultation and meet online.
- During these sessions you can either talk with a consultant using a web cam or using the chat feature. For instructions, please click here.
- If you have questions about document formatting, please upload a copy of your writing to the appointment form.
Online Draft Queue
If you are unavailable during our operating hours, use our Online Draft Queue to submit a draft. As you prepare to submit your draft, consider the following:
- Allow a one-week turnaround for draft feedback.
- The consultant assigned to your draft will leave side comments and a general comment on your draft; they will then share the document back to you. Look for this Google Doc in the email address you provided with your submission.
- Currently, we have the resources to respond to drafts in 30-minute increments; the consultant will address as much of your draft as they are able to get to (approximately 5 pages).
- Contact email@example.com for questions about your submission.
What happens when I submit a draft to the online draft queue?
Your draft will be sent to the Writing Center, where a consultant will read information page you completed and read your draft. The consultant will insert comments into the margins of your paper to address your concerns and make suggestions. Then the consultant will then share the draft back with your via Google Docs. They will use the address you supplied when you initially filled out the form.
What kind of feedback will I get from the online draft submission?
Our feedback will respond to any concerns about the paper that you expressed when you made the appointment. Our consultants may also offer suggestions in additional areas. The consultant comments will be inserted into the margins of your paper.
Can I submit a draft more than once to the online queue?
If you make substantial revisions to a draft and still have concerns about it, you can resubmit. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you would like to resubmit your draft.
Can I submit my thesis to you? My novel?
No. Unfortunately, due to time constraints, our consultants cannot look at more than 5 pages of submitted work.
How long will it take to get feedback from the online draft queue?
Since you sign up in our queue, we ask for up to one week for us to review your draft.
Can you proofread my paper?
No. We are happy to answer questions about specific grammatical concerns, but we will not proofread your paper.
Can you tell me what grade I will get on this paper?
No. The purpose of the Writing Center is to help make you a better writer in general. Only your teacher or professor can give you a grade. Be sure to look over your assignment sheets to make sure that you’re meeting all of the given criteria, and ask your professor if you have specific grading questions.