We work with the students, faculty, and staff of CSU and with members of the local community. Writers of all backgrounds from all over the world use our services. Whether you’re an undergraduate, graduate, nontraditional student or an English language learner, our consultants have expertise writing in a variety of disciplines and for a variety of audiences. Writers are welcome to bring in writing of any genre or discipline—composition papers, lab reports, dissertations, posters, websites, and more—at any stage in the writing process. Whether you are brainstorming for ideas, conducting research, or revising a draft for the third time, a Writing Center consultant can assist you.
All of our locations accept walk-ins or appointments for face-to-face consultations. During busier times in the semester, we recommend making an appointment. Consultations last for 30 minutes, and in that time we typically discuss the equivalent of 4-5 pages (double spaced) of writing. Using the hierarchy of rhetorical concerns, we address issues of audience, purpose, context, focus, development, organization, style and conventions. CSU students can request that an email notification be sent to their instructor outlining the work that was done during a consultation. Face-to-face consultations are open to CSU students, staff, faculty, and the general public. Make an appointment.
NEW! Video Conferencing Appointments
- You can now schedule appointments on WCONLINE for a 30 minute consultation and meet online.
- During these sessions you can either talk with a consultant using a web cam. This document contains more detailed instructions for video conferencing.
- No special software required — the video chat works from your web browser.
- We ask that you have a least a working microphone for this service; the video component is recommended, but not required.
- If you have questions about document formatting, please upload a copy of your writing to the appointment form.
Online Draft Queue
If you are unavailable during our operating hours, use our Online Draft Queue to submit a draft. As you prepare to submit your draft, consider the following:
- Allow a one-week turnaround for draft feedback.
- The consultant assigned to your draft will leave side comments and a general comment on your draft; they will then share the document back to you. Look for this Google Doc in the email address you provided with your submission.
- Currently, we have the resources to respond to drafts in 30-minute increments; the consultant will address as much of your draft as they are able to get to (approximately 5 pages).
- Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for questions about your submission.
New! Writing Center Seminar
The CSU Writing Center offers a one-credit course to assist students who are taking CO150. For more information, please see our information page.
The Writing Center invites all instructors to set up a promotional visit for their classes. These brief visits given by a writing consultant introduce students to the services the Writing Center offers, including consultations both in person and online. The presentations take between 5 and 10 minutes and they may be scheduled at your convenience. For instructors who would like a more in-depth presentation, we are happy to perform a live, mock writing consultation that models our face-to-face services. Please contact the Writing Center Assistant Director for more information about classroom presentations or email the Writing Center (email@example.com) to schedule a presentation.
View the presentation slides we’ll use during our visit to your classroom.